Some barrel racers can find the long, blind alleyway in Cowtown Coliseum intimidating, but London Gorham sent it in Fort Worth, Texas, to top the first round of the Women’s Rodeo World Championship. Gorham’s 13.579-second run aboard her 5-year-old gelding Runnin With Wings (JL Dash Ta Heaven x Nicki Nick Bar x Colonel Azucar), aka “Homeboy,” was worth $2,230, and a guaranteed spot in the semifinals on Tuesday, May 17.
“He was slightly hyper in the back, so I just let him breeze and run from there. He really made me work for the second but was very honest for the rest of the run,” Gorham said.
Homeboy didn’t finish out his week in the WCRA Major in Corpus Christi, Texas, on a high note. With just days before the WRWC, Gorham recalled some advice from a trusted advisor.
“I wanted to make a good, confident run on him,” Gorham said. “My trainer, James Barnes, always tells me smooth is fast, so that is always my plan.”
The 14-year-old has been balancing WCRA events for the last week and will be attending the Texas Junior High School Rodeo Association State Finals this upcoming weekend. The pressure and fast-paced atmosphere of the various events seems to be wearing well on the Cotulla, Texas, native.
London will lead the cowgirls into the semifinals round, and the top four from the semifinals will advance into the Showdown round on Wednesday night. Be sure to get your tickets at cowtowncoliseum.com to get in on the action.
WRWC Qualifying Round
Top 12 Advancing to Semifinal Round
- London Gorham, 13.579-second run, worth $2,230
- Rainey Skelton, 13.774-second run, worth $1,920
- Sadie Wolaver, 13.833-second run, worth $1,520
- Jordan Driver, 13.898-second run, worth $1,120
- Ari-Anna Flynn, 13.940-second run, worth $720
- Sherri Barnes, 13.951-second run, worth $400
- Laura Mote, 13.985-second run
- Hailey Kinsel, 13.988-second run
- Tiffany Lujan, 13.991-second run
- Randi Holliday, 14.086-second run
- Stephanie Fryar, 14.109-second run
- Acey Pinkerton, 14.193-second run
For full results, check WRWC.Rodeo